Subscribe

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Wednesday 21 November 2012

Amaryllis

It's bulb planting time and there's nothing I like to do more than fill up my old flower pots with either narcissi, hyacinths or amaryllis and watch them flourish into a gorgeous display.
They're not tricky to do at all. I buy my bulbs from either the flower market or my local florist and some potting earth from Homebase along with some drainage balls.
Then I cut a black plastic bag and lay into the base of the basket or pot to stop any water leaks. Add a layer of the drainage balls (they look like mini maltesers) and then add the earth on top. I plant the bulbs quite closely together and water. Then I add a layer of moss on top. I often buy berry twigs or pussy willow to then put in between the bulbs. They look super pretty and add an extra festive feel but they can also act as a great support when the bulbs start sprouting. And finally I've added some pine cones at the base (they came with some old pot pourri I discarded ages ago), you could even spray paint them in a silver or gold for a festive feel. And voila. A great centre piece that lasts way longer than freshly cut flowers.

No comments:

Post a Comment